How a 'Win-Win' situation can easily turn into a 'win-win-win' situation!

I am a firm believer of the Win-Win model. The basic thought behind this mind-set is: make sure that whomever you work, live or play with benefits from your 'what-ever-the-heck' you are doing (or am i over-simplifying things now?!)

'this picture is royalty free from www.123rf.com 


The root of the thought is, that if both people seek to understand the other persons perspective in any given situation, and both people have the intend to make the situation successful for both (or all) people involved, things can only turn out 'win-win'. The bible, a book full of practical advise (and lots of things that puzzle the mind too...) describes this basic thought as follows: Do unto others what you want do to you!

If you can't seem to understand the beauty of this principle, it's better if you stop reading this post.
But if you can believe that if we ALL had this simple mindset, the idea that in every situation there should be a win-win, I'd like to show you the simple ways of turning a Win-Win into a Win-win-win!

I actually think that in social-profit businesses we are all about the win-win-win. Anybody can seek for ways to accomplish this. Maybe not in EVERY situation, but I'm convinced in MANY!

Win-win-win happens in a moment when two 'parties' decide to do business together, both pause for a moment and think: Who else could benefit from our win-win situation? Let me give you an example from a company I worked for. At a certain time this company wanted to boost it's name recognition in a certain geographical area. There was little money to do so, and advertising even in local newspapers seemed an expensive alternative. Yet, there was a local festival that was looking for new sponsors. This local festival had several ways of finding free publicity, one of which was the local newspaper! Instead of paying the newspaper money, why not investing it in sponsoring the local festival! A clear WIN-WIN! The festival had enough ways of getting publicity, but needed sponsors. The company needed publicity, and now had a way to DOUBLE the investment! We were both mentioned with logo's all over the event AND we made it to the local newspaper. But that was not all! We thought it would benefit our company and the organizers of the festival greatly if we could present our product during the festival!
Giving out stuff for free is not often the best way to get noticed. The product we offered as a company could bring added value to the experiment of the people visiting the festival - and here we found our 3rd WIN! Instead of giving our product away for free - we offered a local NGO to sell our stuff for a very attractive price to the visitors of the festival, and let the NGO keep the profit! A successful 3rd win!

When looking for a win-win-win, keep these 3 things in mind:

1: Could a 3rd party benefit from the win-win I just reached with a partner?

2. Would adding the 3rd party possibly increase the win-win I already reached with my partner?
t
his is important, because if it doesn't, it's no longer a win-win-win anymore!

3. How could I maximize the win-win-win situation we just created by telling others about it?
The joined network of 3 parties is MUCH bigger than 1+1. It's even bigger than 1+1+1.
A tripple win draws often attention too it by nature. Use it for your benefit!

Don't just think win-win. Think win-win-win!

Are there other benefits I'm not even mentioning? Or am I missing a DOWN-side of win-win-win? I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great you wanna leave a comment - that's why I write.
Feel free to DM me if you have private issues to chat about :)